Cats of the Kalahari
Kalahari Photo Tour
This Kalahari Photo Tour takes you to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park at the border triangle of South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. This unique park awaits you with all of the Kalahari desert’s creatures, from majestic oryx antelopes to cute little meerkats. Famous for its high concentration of predators, this park offers you amazing opportunities to see the legendary Kalahari lions with their black manes. With a little luck you will also see cheetahs or even a leopard and not to forget about the smaller cats like the African wildcat and the caracal.
The park also beguiles you with its majestic landscape, casting a spell with its red, shimmering dunes. Spread under a never-ending, expansive sky, the Kgalagadi is a real haven of tranquillity. To experience the Kalahari is indeed balm for the soul. In winter (May – September), the tempratures in the mornings are nice and cool. This means, that the lions and other cats are more active during the day.
During this trip, you will be accompanied by Hannes Lochner. Hannes, a renowned and multiple award-winning professional photographer, lived in the park for 5 years and knows it better than anyone else.
All images on this tour description webpage are from Hannes Lochner.
This Kalahari Photo Tour offers extraordinary highlights!
- The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park provides great opportunities to photograph the big cats such as black-maned lions, cheetahs and leopards as well as the smaller cats like the African wildcat and with a bit of luck the caracal.
- The trip offers you countless photographic scenes featuring the creatures of the Kalahari desert. In addition to the big cats, you will have excellent opportunities to photograph meerkats, large herds of antelopes, birds of prey, owls, African wild cats and many other animals.
- The red sand dunes form a spectacular background for photos of wildlife.
- Sunrise and sunsets in the Kalahari are incomparable and immerse the photographic subject in a magical light.
- The imposing star-spangled sky in the Kalahari is a very inspiring photographic subject and ideal for time-exposure photography.
- Photographic support and tour guiding from Hannes Lochner. Hardly anyone knows the region better than Hannes Lochner. He lived in the park for five years and, among other things, published two absolutely riveting illustrated books on the Kalahari.
- You will spend the night in two beautiful, comfortable lodges whose surroundings are also ideal for hunting for photographic subjects.
- Small groups with a maximum of 6 participants
Photo Tours 2022
13 – 20 June 22
4 – 11 August 22
5 – 12 October 22
CHF 5‘150.- | PP sharing
CHF 5‘650.- | PP single occupancy
Included in the price
Not included in the price
Combine this Photo Tour
The photo tours “Cats of the Kalahari”, “Botswana upclose” (October)” or “Zimanga in Focus” (September) are coordinated so that they can be optimally combined with one extra. The two trips together give an incomparable insight into the animal world in southern Africa. In just over two weeks, you will travel through two very different areas in terms of landscape and wildlife. A highlight for every animal lover and photographer!
When booking both trips, you benefit from a combination discount of CHF 250.- per person.
Learn more about the Botswana upclose tour
Learn more about the Zimanga in focus tour
What our clients say
As always, excellently organized trip to the Kalahari with the guidance of Hannes Lochner. His knowledge of the Kalahari and photography gives even experienced wildlife photographers a final tip for a very special photo. Glad to travel at any time again with Hannes and Amazing Views.
This was our first trip with Amazing Views and I can only say that it was very well organized. Hannes Lochner is a great photographer and an extremely likeable person. He showed us "his Kalahari", which is so different from the usual safari destinations. Many thanks to Hannes and the Amazing Views team.
An excellently organised trip to the Kalahari with on-site support by the nature and wildlife photographer Hannes Lochner, who left no question unanswered and gave valuable tips on the respective camera model, the settings and the composition of the pictures. Pleasant accommodation, delicious food and time spent together rounded off the whole photo safari positively. Recommended for beginners as well as advanced photographers. Anytime again with Hannes Lochner and Amazing Views.
Day 1 – Arrival in the Kalahari
- An individual journey to Twee Rivieren in your own hire car.
- An organised transfer from Upington (early in the morning on 3rd November).
- On request, we would be pleased to book accommodation for you in Upington the night before and after the photography tour.
Day 2 – Driving into the Park
Day 3 to 7 – Days spent exploring the Park
Day 8 – End of the Kalahari Photo Safari and the return journey to the Upington